You may only be familiar with rhubarb in pies, but its tart flavor and bright color can really shine in a wide variety of dishes. If your rhubarb had leaves attached, be sure to remove and discard, as rhubarb leaves are actually poisonous to humans(!) Hazelnuts add a nice crunch and goat cheese a tart creaminess that helps balance all of the flavors in this salad. Serves 4-6.
- 1 pound fresh rhubarb stalks, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons red wine or champagne vinegar
- 1 pound seasonal lettuces (spinach, arugula, red leaf)
- 6 oz chèvre (fresh goat cheese), crumbled
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Toss rhubarb with 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil and honey. Roast on baking sheet until soft, about 5 – 7 minutes. Set aside until cool. On another baking sheet, toast hazelnuts about 5 minutes until browned.
Once hazelnuts have cooled, chop into small pieces.
Whisk remaining grapeseed oil with vinegar. Toss lettuces with rhubarb and dressing, top with toasted hazelnuts and goat cheese.