Retro punch is the best way to throw a classy party without having to play bartender. Be aware - punch disappears faster than you would expect and is very strong. I love this punch, and all old-school punches, because they use interesting blends of ingredients and usually contain bubbly, so you know it's a party! This one is great for the winter (and Winter Solstice parties) because the blood orange keeps things bright and festive, while still being dark and cozy. I usually double the below recipe for parties, but one batch will serve about 15-20 people.
- 12 ounces (350 mL) apple brandy or apple jack, such as Laird's Apple Jack
- 500mL (about 3/4 bottle) Dubonnet rouge
- 1/4 cup fresh blood orange juice
- 3 blood oranges, sliced into rounds
- 1 bottle of champagne or other sparkling wine
- 20 dashes of Angostura bitters
After mixing, throw in a giant ice cube for extra classiness. A giant ice cube can be made by freezing water in a square tupperware container overnight. You might want to store a back up of all the ingredients except champagne and bitters to allow for easier refill (your guests will love to watch you dash in the bitters).
Enjoy and be careful - again, it's strong and tasty!